Affirmation for Catholic Women
Join 50,000 Catholic women in affirming their faith!
THE AFFIRMATION FOR CATHOLIC WOMEN is simply a straightforward statement of fidelity to Church teachings -- on some of the most controversial issues we face today. Signing it is a way of making your voice heard in support of your Catholic faith.
Today, with so many wrongs committed in the name of "women's rights" is truly important that voices of faithful Catholic women are heard!
You do not have to join anything to sign this AFFIRMATION, and no donation is required. Just by signing this Affirmation for Catholic Women, women pledge their loyalty to the teaching of the Catholic Church. Just print out the form, sign it and send it to WFF office by mail or fax. (English version appears below -- other languages only a click away.) More info at About WFF.
Updated lists of names will be forwarded to Pope Francis and/or to the bishops of the United States from time to time, as appropriate. (Paragraph 8 of the Affirmation was altered slightly in 2005, after the death of Pope John Paul II. We regard his ground-breaking apostolic teaching as fundamental to understanding the family and roles for men and women in
society and in the Church for the people of our time.)
*NOTE* You are free to reproduce this Affirmation and we hope you will give this opportunity to all the women you know!
Translations: French - Italian - Spanish - Dutch - German - Polish* - Chinese*
* available on request
Click here for easy to print PDF
Affirmation for Catholic Women
Because of the assaults against the Christian Faith and the family by elements within contemporary society which have led to pervasive moral confusion, to damage and destruction of families and the men, women and children who comprise them;
Because we adhere to the Catholic Christian faith as expressed in Holy Scripture, the Nicene, Apostolic and Athanasian Creeds, in the ecumenical Councils of the Church, and in the continued deepening of the understanding of the revelations of Sacred Truth to the Church by the Holy Spirit through the teaching authority of the Church and of the Successors of Peter, Apostle;
Because we wish to affirm our desire to realize our vocations and our duty as Christians and as women in accordance with these authentic teachings, following the example and instruction of Our Savior Jesus Christ, and the example of Mary, His mother;
Because we are cognizant of our obligations as Christian women to witness to our faith, being mindful that this witness is important to the formation of the moral conscience of our families and of humanity, we wish to make this affirmation:
1. We believe that through God's grace our female nature affords us distinct physical and spiritual capabilities with which to participate in the Divine Plan for creation. Specifically, our natural function of childbearing endows us with the spiritual capacity for nurture, instruction, compassion and selflessness, which qualities are necessary to the establishment of families, the basic and Divinely ordained unit of society, and to the establishment of a Christian social order.
2. We believe that to attempt to subvert or deny our distinct nature and role as women subverts and denies God's plan for humanity, and leads to both personal disintegration and ultimately to the disintegration of society. Accordingly, we reject all ideologies which seek to eradicate the natural and essential distinction between the sexes, which debase and devalue womanhood, family life and the nurturing role of women in society.
3. We affirm the intrinsic sacredness of all human life, and we reject the notion that abortion, the deliberate killing of unborn children, is the "right" of any human being, male or female, or of any government. Such a distorted and corrosive notion of individual freedom is, in fact, inimical to authentic Christianity and to the establishment and maintenance of a just social order.
4. We accept and affirm the teaching of the Catholic Church on all matters dealing with human reproduction, marriage, family life and roles for men and women in the Church and in society.
5. We therefore also reject as an aberrant innovation peculiar to our times and our society the notion that priesthood is the "right" of any human being, male or female. Furthermore, we recognize that the specific role of ordained priesthood is intrinsically connected with and representative of the begetting creativity of God in which only human males can participate. Human females, who by nature share in the creativity of God by their capacity to bring forth new life, and, reflective of this essential distinction, have a different and distinct role within the Church and in society from that accorded to men, can no more be priests than men can be mothers.
6. We recognize and affirm the vocations of women who subordinate their human role of motherhood and family life in order to consecrate their lives to the service of God, His Church and humanity. Such women's authentic response of consecrated service to the physical, spiritual and/or intellectual needs of the community in no way diminishes or compromises their essential female nature, or the exercise of inherent attributes, insights and gifts peculiar to women. Rather, it extends the applications of these gifts beyond the individual human family.
7. We stand with the Second Vatican Council, which took for granted the distinct roles for men and women in the family and in society and affirmed that Christian education must impart knowledge of this distinction: "In the entire educational program [Catholic school teachers] should, together with the parents, make full allowance for the difference of sex and for the particular role which Providence has appointed to each sex in the family and in society. (Declaration on Education, Sec. 8, paragraph 3, from Vatican II Documents, ed. Austin Flannery, 1981)
8. We pledge our wholehearted support to the teachings of the Church concerning all aspects of family life and roles for men and women in the Church and in society, especially as contained in Pope John Paul II's Apostolic Exhortation, Familiaris Consortio; and we resolve to apply the principles contained therein to our own lives, our families and our communities, God being our aid.
NOTE: You are free to reproduce this Affirmation.
Please type or print clearly
Please tell us how did you find us? :Website__ Friend__ Parish__ Other, please list______________
Dear WFF - I also want to help this effort for Catholic women and the Church by sending a donation. ($25/year suggested, but small donations are most welcome!) For special offers see the Join Page!
- Enclosed is my donation of __$5__ $10 __$25 __$50 __Other $
- Please send me a sample packed of WFF materials. ___
- I understand I may distribute this Affirmation. I will help collect signatures, and include WFF in my prayers.
Note: WFF is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible.
Mail or fax signed Affirmation to:
Women for Faith & Family
PO Box 300411
St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone 314-863-8385 · Fax 314-863-5858
or email us.
Additional AFFIRMATION Signers
Please Print Clearly
Women for Faith & Family - P.O. Box 300411, St. Louis, MO 63130 - USA
Phone (314) 863-8385 - Fax (314) 863-5858 -E-mail Women for Faith and Family
**Women for Faith & Family operates solely on your generous donations! See Join Page or for Credit Card Donation see Network for Good instructions page!**
WFF is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible.
You do not have to donate to sign the affirmation.
Click donation button below to donate with PayPal.Membership Donation - $25.00 a year
you will receive Voices quarterly Foreign Membership Donation - $35 a year
you will receive Voices quarterly
Voices copyright © 1999-Present Women for Faith & Family. All rights reserved.
All material on this web site is copyrighted and may not be copied or reproduced without prior written permission from Women for Faith & Family,except as specified below.
Permission is granted to download and/or print out articles for personal use only.
Brief quotations (ca 500 words) may be made from the material on this site, in accordance with the “fair use” provisions of copyright law, without prior permission. For these quotations proper attribution must be made of author and WFF + URL (i.e., “Women for Faith & Family www.wf-f.org.)
Generally, all signed articles or graphics must also have the permission of the author. If a text does not have an author byline, Women for Faith & Family should be listed as the author. For example: Women for Faith & Family (St Louis: Women for Faith & Family, 2005 + URL)
Link to Women for Faith & Family web site.
Other web sites are welcome to establish links to www.wf-f.org or to individual pages within our site.
Back to top -- Home